History

In the reign of His Majesty King Chulalongkorn there was a big Cholera breakout in 1881. With his benevolence, he had established temporary hospitals in 48 community districts. The hospitals were closed when the occurrence of the disease was reduced.However, the establishment of a hospital was still in his mind and he appointed a committee to take responsibility.

On 22 March 1886 His Majesty King Chulalongkorn had appointed the committee to establish a permanent hospital at Kromphrarajawangboworn Sathanpimuk(Wang Lang)’s Palace on the west bank of Chao Phraya River. He also gave money from his private funds as the first donation for the establishment.

During the preparations, HRH Prince Siriraj Kakutabhundu, the King’s beloved son died of dysentery on 31 May 1887. This brought him great sorrow and also a strong will to establish the hospital. After the Prince’s cremation, HM The King donated the wood planks and everything else used in the ceremony to the hospital as well as donating the prince’s private fund.

In the early period, the hospital committee had built 6 patient wards and on 26 April 1888 HM King Chulalongkorn presided the opening of the hospital and named it “ Siriraj Hospital”, also called “Wang Lang Hospital” by the local people. The hospital was opened to render treatment to patients both in modern and Thai traditional medicine.

With an increasing demand for treatment and an inadequate number of physicians, a medical school was established in this hospital and teaching started on 5 September 1890. It was a 3-year curriculum, teaching was both in modern and traditional medicine. This first medical school in Thailand was named “ Pattayakorn School”. The medical degree was awarded to the first medical graduates on 1 May 1893.

While HRH Krommamuen Chainartnarendhorn was working as the Director of the medical school, he persuaded HRH Prince Mahidol of Songkla to study medicine. The first place he went to was Harvard University in the United States, where he studied Public Health and later on completed a medical degree. Furthermore, he was a representative of the government of the Kingdom of Thailand and negotiated with the Rockefellers to raise Thai medical education up to the degree level as well as improving the facilities of Siriraj Hospital in various aspects.

Siriraj Hospital has been sustainably developing until now with the generosity of every king and all the royal families in the Chakri Dynasty as well as the full support from the people of Thailand.

Siriraj Hospital is located at 2 Prannok Road, Siriraj Sub-district, Bangkoknoi District, Bangkok 10700. It is recognized as one of the biggest hospitals in Southeast Asia occupying 73 rais of land with 75 buildings. In 1996, it housed 2,600 beds, 1,200 physicians, 7,783 nurses and 1,974 nurse assistants as well as 1,117 additional personnel working wholeheartedly with their full strength for patient treatment.

Siriraj Hospital in the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital is administered by Mahidol University. The administrative structure in the Faculty comprises the office of the Dean, office of the Director, Her Majesty Cardiac Center, 24 departments, including the office for Research and Development, the Medical Education Technology Center, as well as 8 paramedical schools, namely for Nurse Assistants, Physiotherapy, Medical Audio Visual, Medical Science Technicians, Nurse Anesthetists, Radio Technicians, Sports Science Medicine, and Transfusion Medicine.

Principal missions of the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital are to produce qualified graduates, to promote research activities, to provide services to society, to develop medical services and manage resource utilization efficiently, including preserving and spreading activities to uphold the arts and culture of the nation.