History of Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
The first medical school of Thailand was established since September 5, 1890 at Siriraj Hospital under the name of ” Patayakorn School “. The first 3 year curriculum was started from January 1, 1892 and consequently was improved to be the 4 year curriculum in 1900 with the new royal given name of “Rachapathayalai School” At the early time obstetric subject was taught every Friday concerning fertilization, forceps extraction and use of instrumentation in abnormal obstetrics, use of hot water bag instead of making fire from wood for use during postpartum period. After 2 years of such training, Dr T. Hayward Hays had moved to Bangrak Hospital and Dr. Hans Adamsen replaced him teaching second and third year medical students about obstetric subject and practical training about 3 months in thefourth year.
The first Professor from Rockefeller foundation who came to serve as the chief of obstetric departmentis Professor Geoffrey William Theobald in 1923. He was interested in toxemia of pregnancy and composed a textbook in obstetrics. Antisepsis was emphasized and third year medical student had more chance to practice about patients in labor including cesarean section. Professor Theobald had improved a lot of work in Obstetrics and
Gynecology as an excellent base in this subject.
In 1929, Professor Theobald returned home in England, the medical school had Professor Carl Bachmanfrom University of Pennsylvania, United States of America to continue the on-going job in OB-GYN with much diligence, simple teaching method and introduce low segment cesarean section to replace the classical one. Barton’s forcepswas first introduced to use in case of mid transverse arrest of head. Departmental museum and annual report were
initiated. During that time much academic progress made fast development of the department together with very low maternal death.
While Professor Bachman served as chair person in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, several Thai medica l doctors, returned home after completed training from abroad, such as Professor. Luangpromatutweti, Professor. Term Bunnag, Dr. Eurm Sila-om, and their assistant doctors served in the same department.
After Professor. Bachman returned home in the United States, Professor. term Bunnag was appointed to be
the chairman of the department since 1931 continuously through 1958. During his 27 year period in the position of Head
of the department, he dedicated his whole time for teaching and training medical students and residents for
obstetrics and gynecology. The department had several buildings which served for 4 units: (1) Obstetric (2) Septic (3) Gynecologic and (4) Out-patient. It was the good time for many publications released from the department.
At the same time the department also had special clinics such as venereal diseases clinic, post-operative clinic, ante-natal clinic, infertility clinic, endocrine clinic. Professor Term was a veiy good leader who helped and shared sympathy for working staffs in the department making a warm feeling of being the members of the department making much improvement and progress of the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Professor. Chatchawal Osthanont, the next chirman came to serve his duty for the department from 1958 – 1964. During this 7 years period, the department had two more buildings, Sutisart building and Supisate buiding. Both
of them were4 storey buildings which were used for pregnant women such as first stage room, delivery room, highrisk pregnancy ward, Newborn nursery, postpartum wirds for private patients and department office. Not only
being Head department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Professor. Osthanont was appointed to be the dean of Siriraj Medical School, University of medicine since 1958 and became the president of the University in 1964.
Professor Thara Sukhavaj served as Head department between 1964 – 1966, he was specialized in obstetric and gynecologic pathology. Professor Songsri Gateshing replaced Professor. Sukhavaj in 1966 because
of his early retire. She served her duty for 3 years, with construction of the 8 storey building for research purpose, and retired in 1969. Professor Prapan Areeyamitr was appointed to be Head Department in 1969 and worked
continuously for a long period of time, about 15 years with the main objective of training of medical student, residents, nurses and midwifery’s. During his period, the government gave fund to break down and rebuild Juthathuj building
to be modern storey building which was completed in 1980.
History of different buildings of Obstetric & Gynecologic Department
In the early time, it was just a cottage which served in the beginning and changedto Rachapathayalai building for obstetric patients, later on Treepech and Juthathuj building were used.
- Treepetch building construction fmished in 1929 break down in 1999
- Juthathuj building construction finished in 1929 break down in 1978
- Practical OB building construction finished in 1935 break down in 1970
- Kiangsiri building construction finished in 1956 break down in 1999
- Oon Posayajinda building construction finished in1957 break down in 1999
- Sutisart building construction finished in 1963 break down in 1999
- Pornpiboon building construction fmished in 1968 break down in 1999
- Supisate building construction fmished in 1968 break down in 1999
- Arcarn rean sutisart-Nareewejvidhaya building construction fmished in 1972
- New Juthathuj building construction finished in 1980
- Arcarn 100 yrs. Somdet Prasrinagarin building construction fmished in 2003