Rehabilitation Medicine

The Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine was officially established on September 15, 1993 as the 19th department in the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital. Currently, the office is on the 9th floor of Srisangwan Building Siriraj Hospital. Since then, the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine has continually generated and developed services during 1949 until now as following:

In 1949
Professor Fuang Satya Snguan, M.D., Head of Orthopedic Section, Surgery Department Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Medicine University, started using electrical appliance as a rehabilitation technique for patients.

In 1952
– The poliomyelitis was widespread during the period. Therefore, the rehabilitation treatment such as electrical stimulation, massage, and exercise were used.
– There was the first residency training in rehabilitation section.

In 1953
On January 29, 1953, His Royal Majesty the King granted โ€œHubbard Tankโ€ and Whirl poolโ€ as devices for giving rehabilitation to the patients especially the poliomyelitis victims.

In 1954
The Faculty of medicine Siriraj Hospital started to send doctors and allied health persons to be aboard trained in rehabilitation.

In 1957
The plant to produce artificial arm, artificial leg and artificial brace was established.

In 1958
There was the first lecture in rehabilitation to the 6th year medical students.

In 1960
On October 21, 1960, Her Royal Highness the Princess Mother opened โ€œSrisangwan Buildingโ€ to be the permanent office of the Rehabilitation Section.

In 1970
There was the start of a special class teaching children patients in Siriraj Hospital. Teachers with bachelor degree in education were sent from the Special Education Section of Department of General Education to teach the general subjects following standard curriculums of each level from the elementary level to high school level.

In 1978
The Rehabilitation Section obtained many staffs from various fields to work collaboratively in rehabilitation treatment: Doctor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Rehabilitation Nurse, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist, Orthotist or Prosthetist, Music Therapist, Special Class Teacher, Social Rehabilitation Worker

In 1987
On April 17, 1987, Her Royal Highness the Princess Gulyani Vadhana opened reconstructed Srisangwan Buildings.

In 1988
The Rehabilitation Section had an approval from the Medical Council of Thailand to train specialist doctor in rehabilitation.

In 1993
The Rehabilitation Section was approved to be the Rehabilitation Department on September 15, 1993.

In 2002
There was an establishment of the new bachelor degree in science, concentrating in prosthetics and orthotics within the faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University. The program was established with the collaboration between the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University and the Sirindhorn National Medical Rehabilitation Center (SNMRC) with the support of the Nippon Foundation. This bachelor is the first prosthetic and orthotic curriculum in Southeast Asia.

In 2004
On February 4, 2004, the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine opened the 11th floor ward at Chalermpra-kiat Building. The service included the rehabilitation treatment of the patients over 15 years old such as paralytic patients and amputees.

In 2006
– In September 2006, there was the one-stop handicap overall registration service. The services include the handicap registration, the issue of handicap book, 30-baht health-care schemeโ€™ s right change, also the introduction, the service receipt and the examination of the handicapโ€™s right. This service generated with the collaboration among the Social Welfare Section Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Bureau of the Empowerment for Persons with Disabilities, Office of Welfare Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups and the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security. Siriraj Hospital is the first hospital to provide this one-stop service to people with disability.
– On October 12, 2006, the prosthetic and orthotic school received the royal permission from Her Royal Highness the Princess Sirindhorn to change the school name to be โ€œThe Sirindhorn School of Prosthetics and Orthoticsโ€

Continuously, the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine provides rehabilitation service as holistic care to patient by multidisciplinary team, as one of the core leader to direct Thai society in healthcare and physical capability recovering that enhance peopleโ€™s quality of life. All department members attempt to conduct excellent research and develop new knowledge to be benefit to peopleโ€™s health within the department vision, โ€œThe Department of Rehabilitation Medicine strives to be the leading rehabilitation institution in the Southeast Asia by 2010โ€ To serve the vision, the department set objectives to produce worldwide standard doctors, specialist doctor in rehabilitation, prosthetists and orthotists – who would be able to effectively and properly generate advantages to public, also continuously develop themselves. The most important is that they must have morality and social responsibility and always treat others well following the phrase โ€œเธญเธ•เธบเธ•เธฒเธ™เน เธญเธธเธ›เธกเน เธเน€เธฃโ€ which means โ€œTo be concern of otherโ€™s feelingโ€