The increasing life expectancy in Thailand’s population translates into a higher demand for age-specific health care. Senior citizens have health problems and disease progression that are different from patients in other age groups. Geriatric medicine and research allows doctors to understand, manage, and anticipate physical changes, health problems, and rehabilitation needs related to Thailand’s senior population. The Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital continues to focus on research that promotes improved health and the prevention of serious diseases that are common to Thailand’s senior population. Research topics include :
- Dementia in senile people research,which investigates more effective ways to diagnose and treat dementia patients. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Worapan and Assoc. Prof. Dr. Weerasak
Muangpaisan of the Department of Medicine are leading this study.
- Geriatric research that endeavors to find better health promotion strategies and methods for prevention of common diseases in seniors. This research study was undertaken by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Prasert Assantachai of the Department of Preventive and Social Medicine. This research was later expanded into easy-to-read books on how to take better care of the elderly. These books have been well received by Thailand’s community of family caregivers.
Siriraj Center of Research for Excellence consist of Research network and Research group
- Center of Excellence for perioperative anesthesia care in geriatrics
- Research group : Neuro disorders ( dementia )
- Research group : Muscular disorders
- Research group : Siriraj and SCG Home solution contact point
This collaboretive is from
- Department of Emergency Medicine
- Department of Forensic Medicine
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Department of Preventive and Social Medicine